In the event of an injury in Denmark, and in order to receive sick pay, all necessary information about your illness must be completed in the Borger.dk section Mit Sygefravær. Benefits can be obtained from Jobcenter or your municipality.
Can I get sickness benefits?
If you are ill or injured and you lose your ability to work, you can get sick pay while you are healing. It is important to note that the benefits are only paid to the Danish residents and taxpayers.
To qualify for this, you must meet at least one of the following conditions:
- You have been entitled to sick pay from your employer for 30 calendar days after you have worked for at least 74 hours in the last 8 weeks before getting injured. If you are still sick after 30 calendar days, read the “Employer’s Obligation” section.
- If your employer does not pay sickness benefits to you, then you will have to fill in the questionnaire ‘Mit Sygefravær’ yourself. This rule applies if until the day you become incapable of work due to trauma or illness you have worked for at least 240 hours in the last 6 full calendar months. During at least 5 of those months you must have worked for at least 40 hours a month.
- Not less than a month ago, you have completed a professional education, which duration was at least 18 months.
- You are a trainee in paid internships governed by the law.
- Employed in fleksjob.
Accident at work
In the event of an accident at the workplace, the employee receives sick pay from the municipality from the first day, regardless of whether he has worked at the minimum hours specified above. It is important to note that, in the case of accidents at work, the normal period of 22 weeks’ sick pay is not valid.
Conditions for receiving sickness benefit are obtained by Dagpenge
- You are registered as unemployed at your local Jobcenter
- On the first day of illness you registered jobnet.dk
Your a-kasse will get information about your illness or trauma from Jobcenter, therefore no further notification is required. The first 14-days you will receive your “sygedagpenge” from your a-kasse without having to pay any further benefits in the municipality. In order to receive benefits from the municipality, you must fill in the form to receive the sygedagpenge. In most cases, the questionnaire is sent by regular mail and the completed questionnaire should be delivered to the municipality within 8 days of the date of receipt.
If you do not receive the questionnaire, please contact your municipality at least 5 weeks after the first day of illness for which you want to receive sick pay.
What is the amount of sickness benefits?
According to 2020 set rates, the maximum rate is set at 19.083, – permonth, for fully insured residents.
How long can you receive sickness benefits?
Sickness benefits are paid from the date you informed the employer or the municipality that you were ill. The longest period of sickness benefits is paid for 22 weeks over a 9-month period. Within 22 weeks, the municipality evaluates your state of health and makes a decision on whether it is possible to extend your sick leave. There are certain requirements that need to be met in order to extend the term.
What steps must be carried out in case of illness?
You must notify your employer as soon as possible of your illness or injury no later than 2 hours after the start of the working day. Late reporting of your illness may result in loss of benefit for the first day of illness.
The duty of the employer
First of all, the employer must fill in an electronic questionnaire about the employee’s current situation.
Later, as an employee, you will receive a letter to your E-Box where you will have to log in to your NemID and fill in the necessary information about your health status, when you plan to return to the workplace and when you plan to visit a doctor or other specialist, etc.